I made these cupcakes because I wanted to test an icing. As per usual though, I didn’t follow the recipe very well and ended up with a bit of a disaster.
Fortunately I managed to save it by adding a lot of icing sugar and turning it into something halfway between a butter icing and a water icing.
It wasn’t all a disaster though as the cupcakes turned out pretty well. They’re just plain vanilla cupcakes but with lots of chocolate chips added.
The icing I attempted was from Our Best Bites and uses a thickened milk and flour mixture and then whisks it with butter and caster sugar. It’s not supposed to be as sickly sweet as normal buttercream icing (I definitely ruined that one by added two cups of icing sugar) but I don’t think I cooked the flour and milk mixture long enough so the finished icing was very runny. I will attempt it again but if you try it and have any luck, let me know!
If you would rather not chance it you can just use a straightforward buttercream like the one I used for my chocolate cupcakes. Or you could use this vanilla buttercream or this cream cheese frosting. (The photographs in those posts make me really miss my old flat. So much daylight!)
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing
Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is.
Makes: 12 cupcakes
Takes: 40minutes (not including cooling time)
- 110g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 210g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 140ml milk
- 100g chocolate chips (or use a chocolate bar chopped up finely)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again.
- In another bowl mix together the flour and baking powder and then add to the batter with the milk.
- Mix well before adding the chocolate chips and mixing one last time.
- Pour the mixture into cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 15-20minutes until the spring back when gently pressed.
- Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack before icing with your choice of buttercream from the links above.